Thursday, July 13, 2006

It's a small world



When I went to Hiroshima I decided to stay the night. The travel guide I had mentioned a bed and breakfast named World Friendship Center [http://homepage2.nifty.com/wfchiroshima/indexE.html] which was run by an American couple. Although I wanted to experience Japanese culture as much as possible, I needed to get a room and the thought of trying to do that via phone was daunting so I opted for a place where I knew someone would speak English. I also thought it would be nice to get their perspective on Japanese people and culture and I like the more intimate bed and breakfast setting where you can visit with other guests. In hindsight I made an excellent choice. It was a great experience. The proprietors [Donald & Pauline Hess - pictured above] we're gracious and generous hosts. Donald really went the extra mile to help me find the place too. I really enjoyed visiting with them about the Mennonite Brethren Church which sponsored the B&B and of which Don was a former "pastor". I also had a great time visiting with the other guests. One lady, from Canada, was in Japan to participate in a multicultural seminar and three other young ladies were in the Peace Corps and were on R&R. They were all based in the Philippines and one of them was even based in the city that my wife was going to be traveling to the following week on a youth missions trip. I had just missed another couple of guests who were also from Boise and had stayed there the night before. What a small world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home